Board Meeting Minutes: October 13, 2011
ORGANIZATION FOR TRANSFORMATIVE WORKS
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING
October 13, 2011, 00:30 UTC
PRESENT: Hele Braunstein, Francesca Coppa, Allison Morris, Kristen Murphy
ABSENT: Rachel Barenblat, Ira Gladkova (on hiatus), Sheila Lane
DECISIONS TAKEN SINCE THE LAST MEETING
- The minutes from our last meeting were approved via e-mail.
- We voted via e-mail to approve three new staffers for the Support committee.
(Note: Rachel and Sheila voted afterward via e-mail.)
- We approved the diversity brainstorming post, pending a last-minute edit (which was later approved). It will be translated before posting.
- Francesca presented details of the proposal from Karen Hellekson and Kristina Busse that was first discussed at the September 15 meeting. They have been invited to edit a media fandom reader (i.e., a textbook) to be published by the University of Iowa Press. They propose to direct royalties from this book to the OTW, and request that the OTW support the project by paying the fees necessary to secure permission for the use of previously published articles. The requested budget is $3000 (fees for individual articles vary and are expected to be between $0-250), and there will be an opportunity to recoup part or all of the investment through royalties.
In addition, Karen and Kristina propose to request from the press a Founders' Copyright for the original portions of the book. This scheme, supported by Creative Commons (creativecommons.org/projects/founderscopyright), would let OTW/the press hold copyright for 14 years and then release it to the public domain.
The Board voted to approve both parts of the proposal.
- Hele presented a proposal (which was first discussed via e-mail several weeks ago) from the International Outreach committee. They propose to change their name to "Internationalization and Outreach" to reflect the committee's dual goals of promoting international and fannish inclusivity. They also wish to recruit more widely so that the committee's composition will better help them achieve these goals. The Board voted unanimously to endorse this proposal.
- Hele, as AD&T liaison, forwarded to the Board an e-mail describing how the problem with 502 errors on the Archive of Our Own was resolved. She proposed that the Board officially recognize Systems staffers Sidra and james_ for their great work resolving this issue. The Board was in favor of this and suggested that Hele draft a note of thanks. We will also recognize Sidra and james_ in the Board's report at the next org-wide meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 00:55 UTC.
Minutes approved by the Board on October 25, 2011.