Those of you lucky enough to be attending this year's San Diego Comic Con have the opportunity to see OTW Legal chair Betsy Rosenblatt and Legal staffer Heidi Tandy on the 'Fandom Is My Fandom' panel on Thursday, 9 July at 5:00-6:00 p.m. in Room 14A.
Heidi will be moderating. Panelists include:
- Amanda Brennan (Community and Content Tumblarian)
- Flourish Klink (Chaotic Good, Inc., Transmedia Producer for East Los High)
- Meredith Levine (Fanthropologist, ZEFR)
- Aron Levitz (Head of Business Development, WattPad)
- Elizabeth Minkel (Writer, New Statesman/The Millions)
- Betsy Rosenblatt (Legal Committee Chair, The Organization for Transformative Works)
- Missyjack (aka Jules) (Founder, Supernatural Wiki)
What's the panel about?
'“Fandom” isn’t just one thing these days, and it never was. But now that fans - and their creativity, content and consumption - are something for media companies to understand, PR people to focus on, social media to thrive on and news organizations to report about - what happens to the “traditional” fan community and the fanboys and fangirls that create the culture and content? Are follow-on works like fanart, vids and fanfic to be mocked, tracked, supported, enjoyed within an organic community, or considered a stepping-stone to a creative career? What if the answer is “sometimes one, sometimes all, and sometimes something else”? We’ll look for answers and information from deep inside popular fandoms, the media companies that work with them and the sites that host them.'
For more information, visit the SDCC webpage!