Board Meeting Minutes: March 9, 2011
ORGANIZATION FOR TRANSFORMATIVE WORKS
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING
March 9, 2011, 2:00 UTC
PRESENT: Hele Braunstein, Francesca Coppa, Ira Gladkova, Sheila Lane, Allison Morris, Kristen Murphy
ABSENT: Rachel Barenblat
- The minutes from March 2 were unanimously approved via e-mail.
- AD&T report from Ira: AD&T is developing a new design process that includes assessing the feasibility of proposed features and soliciting public feedback before any major coding work is done. We discussed how best to frame the requests for feedback to obtain useful results; Dreamwidth was cited as a good model for this. AD&T is also planning a review/redesign of the Archive look and feel, and is actively discussing the development of a fanart roadmap.
- Apropos to the discussion of public feedback, we discussed the benefits of moving toward greater process transparency -- i.e., talking publicly about org projects while they are in progress rather than only before and after the work is done. It was felt that this might help our audiences feel better informed and encourage volunteerism. We will discuss this again next week.
- We approved AD&T and Systems' request to establish an account with Hoptoad (http://hoptoadapp.com), an error-tracking application. Legal has already reviewed Hoptoad's privacy policies. It was suggested that the development of an in-house error-tracking system might be a good project for a future Google Summer of Code.
- Francesca reported that the discussion with Legal about whether or not to publicly acknowledge the identity of our colocation host is ongoing.
- Francesca reported that she has distributed a rough draft of the 2010 annual report; Board members are invited to send feedback. Financial data for the report are forthcoming (taxes have to be filed first).
- No update yet on the situation with the British wireless provider that is blocking AO3 as mature content. Support, with guidance from Legal, is in touch with the user who reported the issue.
- We approved a proposal to establish an OTW account on Tumblr. Megan Westerby will administer it.
- Allison relayed a report from Megan Westerby about her experience representing the org at Escapade; a more formal report is forthcoming. Megan will also be attending SXSWI and will try to organize a meetup there.
- Allison presented an initial draft of the staff/volunteer conduct policy and the rest of the Board offered feedback. Any additional feedback is requested by March 14 for discussion at the next VolCom meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 3:20 UTC.
Minutes approved by the Board on March 10, 2011.