A Quick and Dirty Guide to Embedding Video on the Archive of Our Own
Current as of August 15, 2010
This has been adapted from astolat's "Quick and Dirty Guide to Posting Vividcon 2011 Vids on the AO3", but the process is the same for all fan video at this time. As the guide notes, we are currently revising the works form so that it will be video-specific, but this is currently the best way to post your video to the archive.
Currently, the Archive of Our Own supports embed codes from: YouTube, Vimeo, Blip.tv, Ning, Dailymotion, Viddler, MetaCafe, 4shared, Vidders.net, Critical Commons, and Google. If you would like us to add a site to this list, please contact the Vidding Committee and we will happily do so if possible. Please note that for security reasons, we can't allow embeds from personal websites.
Among the advantages of posting your video to the Archive of our Own are: being able to keep all your works together, even if they're hosted on different sites; giving your works stable URLS, even if you change the behind-the-scenes hosting; making your vids searchable and findable by fans; conversely, being able to lock down your embedded video to archive users only; preserving your comments and hit counts in case of takedowns or site meltdowns; the ability to tag and annotate your work. You will also have all the standard archive features: subscriptions, so that your fans will be notified when you've posted a new video; kudos; bookmarks; the ability to put vids into collections; the ability to create challenges, etc.
We hope that you will choose to archive your fan video at the Archive of Our Own; if you do, please consider posting the following code to journal or blog to let people know: (just remove extra spaces and substitute your username for YOUR_USERNAME)
"I'm at <a href="http://archiveofourown.org/users/YOUR_USERNAME"><img alt="favicon" border="0" src="http://archiveofourown.org/favicon.ico" /></a><a href="http://archiveofourown.org/users/YOUR_USERNAME"><strong>YOUR_USERNAME </strong></a>!"
Super fast guide:
- Get an AO3 account if you don't have one (You can sign up here; the Vidding Committee also has extra invites they can send out.)
- Log in and go to Post New Work.
- Put the 'vid' tag on your vids:
- Put your embed and/or download links in the work text (click for larger size):
- You can also add your vid to a collection, such as the 'vividcon2011' collection, if you know that an appropriate open collection exists. (You can also make your own collections of yourself and other vids; you collect videos like any other fan works on the archives. Check out the FAQs on Collections for more information.)
- When completed, your vid should look roughly like this: Murder On The Dance Floor (vid). (You can even link elaborate credits and other notes like this: Debauchery in the UK (vid).)